Saturday 28 October 2017

Fallout 4 inspired, Working Gauss Rifle (coilgun) -- Part 1

Yes, I know that the game is old, but I like it. I also don't give a shit. So, I'm going to build a coilgun that does it's best to look like the thing from the game.

The Gauss Rifle from Fallout 4 (The Art of Fallout4)

General Ideas and Stuff

Looking at the gun, it has 6 capacitors on each side(With the full capacitors mod), and has 5~6 coils. I'm guessing that it's a 6-stage coilgun, with 2 capacitors per coil. I don't have the skills, time, money, or patience to make a 6-stage coilgun. so I'm just going to make it a 3-stage coilgun.


Some basic plans I drew in MS Paint
because my laptop(With Photoshop) broke and i was too lazy to install photoshop on my desktop


The capacitors go on the side, just like in the game.
I'll probably control the firing with MOSFETs, and control those MOSFETs with an Arduino. those will be shoved in the foregrip of the gun, along with extra capacitors.
The capacitor charging circuits will be in the "box-thing with the nixie tube displays". I'll probably have a 7-segment display to show stuff instead of the nixie tubes in-game.
The batteries will be held in the cylindrical-tube thing along with the charger.
About the magazine... I have no idea. The gun will probably end up as a muzzle-loader so...

Designing the Capacitor and Coil Holders


I drew the thing up in Fusion 360 to 3D print. Since I have a small buildplate, I'll have to cut them up. I'll print 12 capacitor holders and 12 base plates. The capacitor holders have holes for the leads, and the baseplate has grooves for the wires. In the in-game model, each capacitor has 2 holder-ring-thingies. Fuck that. I'm Just gonna have one holder-ring thingy. Because I hate support material. I HATE grinding and sanding the burrs and leftover support materials. 

Capacitor holder. capacitor goes in the round thingy. Leads go through the holes.

Baseplate. Glue this under the capacitor holder. Wires go in the trenches

Preview of the Thingies assembled. The coil assembly goes in the big groove in the middle.


4:3 Screen. Deal with it.
Now just gotta 3D print that shit. And wrap coils while waiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment