Thursday 2 November 2017

Fallout 4 inspired, Working Gauss Rifle (coilgun) -- Part 2

The Arduino Case

Now, for the grip and arduino case. Going to 3D print this too. I drew that in Fusion 360. the thinner box glues to the previously made capacitor/baseplate mix. An Arduino sits in the other box, and the box slides in the top thingamajig. I'll probably have another locking mechanism, but for now, i'll just print that.
Box on the left is the "lid". Arduino sits in the right box.
Hopefully nothing goes wrong. 

The Capacitors

I had some 25v, 6800uF capacitors left from a previous project(And by "some", i mean a shit ton.), and i originally was going to use them. But nah. I ordered some 63v, 2200uF capacitors. (I needed them for a school project anyways).  
The energy stored in a capacitor is calculated by this formula:

W = 1/2 C V^2  


W = Energy stored (In Joules/J)

C = Capacitance (In Farads/F)

V = Voltage (In Volts/V)

Using this formula, we can calculate that each capacitor would be able to hold up to about 4.3 Joules. But, I am a little pussy, and I'm not going to charge the capacitors up to their max ratings of 63 volts.  I'll probably charge them up to like, I dunno. 50~55? I guess. 55v. That drops the energy stored into about 3.3 Joules. Whatever. I have 18 of those.

The Coils


I wrapped the coils around some random pieces of tubing I had lying around. I used 1mm thick enamel-coated copper wire.(Also known as magnet wire or speaker wire) I wrapped each coil about 200 times. By hand. 3 of them. What am I doing with my life.

200 Times each. What am I doing with my life.
Light gate sensors go in the holes.The white material is what I call "Macgyverglass' ,which is a cheap, poor man's alternative for fiberglass made out of toilet paper and superglue. It's there to reinforce the tubing.

No comments:

Post a Comment