Tuesday 14 November 2017

Fallout 4 inspired, Working Gauss Rifle (coilgun) -- Part 3

The Capacitors, Part II (A.K.A. The unhealthy charging circuit)

I have 3 capacitor banks. Each bank has 6 capacitors. All of them connected in parallel. I used a XL6009 DC-DC boost converter that ramps up 5 volts to 55 volts. (Output is adjustable.) Mine was laying around so I just used it. There are probably WAY safer ways to charge the caps, but I don't give a shit. This thing's probably gonna end up on a shelf anyways. 
Anyway, I got a 1K Ohm resistor, and connected it parallel to the caps and the output of the boost converter.

Screw Everything.
yep. I'll also probably add a relay or transistor or something to control the charge via arduino.

Aesthetic Parts - "Capacitor Boosting Coils"

The In-Game Gauss Rifle (With the "Capacitor boosting coil" mod/upgrade)  has 4 coils on the side.I have no idea how these would boost the coils. My best guess is that they act as air coil inductors for a "booster" circuit. Anyways, My coils are going to be there for just looks. I designed a coil-spool-holder-thingy in Fusion360, and 3D printed it. 

The 4 U shaped pieces  are printed separately and slid into the main holder.

Half-Assed Assembly

After the parts were done printing, (I used grey PLA from an unknown cheap brand) I got excited and didn't take any photos. So here's a photo of the thing now. Starting to take shape. Awww Yesss



No comments:

Post a Comment